Thursday 4 June 2009

An accident

In my country the number of people killed in automobile accidents is very high compared to people who die in wars. For instance, in 2008, 2333 people died and 6424 were injured because of traffic crashes according to the official report from the Libyan government. The main reason is driving at a very high speed without restrictions, stated the same report. One of the most dramatic events I encountered while I was driving my car to work that year is that a motorist crossed the road in front of me at a very high speed. Before my car hit his vehicle, I managed to press the brakes and my car stopped moving. After people in the region heard the sound of the brakes, they crowded around the vehicles. In fact, whenever there is a traffic crash, people crowd around it. As soon as my car stopped moving, I got out. Unexpectedly, another motorist crossed the crowd and killed two people and injured five and hit my car which was fortunately vacant. After that, the scene became like a war vision. To sum up, the majority of motorists in Libya do not obey the traffic laws.

Except for the accident story, everything is true.

No comments: