Thursday 16 July 2009

My Dairy Essay

Before the PEAP course, my general English background especially my vocabulary was somewhat sufficient to commence an academic course. Comparatively, my academic English background was unsatisfactory especially my academic writing. I was so surprised when I found myself in the top of level two group after the assessment test, because I have thought that my place should be in level one mostly. In this dairy essay, I will attempt to provide a description of my improvement after the first two blocks of the PEAP course and the difficulties I have encountered.

In my opinion, if students want to succeed on the PEAP course, the minimum effort they should do is, attending all of their classes and completing their homeworks. If they want more success, they should do more work, such as, more writing, reading, listening, speaking and practising grammar. This is what I attempted to do: not only did I perform all the optional homeworks which were given by my tutors, but I also applied a practical approach to learn English outside the classes. As a result, my academic writing has considerably improved. For instance, the difference in accuracy and vocabulary between task one writing paragraph, which was about my father, and the last paragraph, which was about mobile phones, is remarkable.

Furthermore, the most striking features of the PEAP course are vocabulary classes, because of two reasons. Firstly, the vocabulary book which we are using; principally, the collocations which I believe they are a treasury to my writing. Secondly, the tutor who teaches these classes, that is, she smiles all the time and gives all the students the opportunity to answer, even when our answers are incorrect, she always correcting us kindly. I am fortunate in being one of her students.

Despite the fact that my academic English has improved, I am still concerned about specific grammar areas, such as, articles, and the use of new vocabulary; especially, in the timed writing, because I have to memorize them. In addition, I have encountered stressful events in the classes. Not because of the homeworks or time writing, it is because I occasionally lose power of concentration during the class and seminar discussions. From my point of view, I have a small degree of flexibility and besides that I am getting older. I have just reached forty.

To summarize, I am extremely satisfied with my progress in the first two blocks of the PEAP course. It is confirmed in the tutorials. I hope my progress in the next two blocks will continue as it has in the previous. Moreover, it is plainly visible that the PEAP course has improved my academic English in spite of the complications I have encountered.

No comments: